NO slatted rack, Upper & Lower Entrances - North Facing (Stalker)
Bee Race: Northern
Source: Overwintered colony
Queen: 2021 queen raised by colony
Hive Name: Stalker
- Faces North
- 10 Frame Langstroth
- Stack: Medium,Medium,Medium,Medium
3 colony quilts layered - seams for each layer on a different side of the colony
reflectix covering the top so no snow gets in.
upper entrance : 1/2"x3/8" with a wind block
lower entrance : 1/2 oval - 1" x3/8"
hive stand base wrapped with Reflectix
- colony started with upper entrance closed by outer cover and ~ 2.5" lower entrance
- 10/29/22 @ ~3:30-3:45pm: flipped inner cover & adjusted top-mid (aka Custom(3)) sensor to be on slot 9. Had found that on some hives the sensors were propping up the inner covers
~11/4/22 @ ~11:30 - adjusted outer cover to open upper entrance.
- 11/9/2022 @ ~10am : wrapped hive stand in reflectix
- 11/11/22 @ 8am: pulled TH sensors from under inner cover -
ignore ALL data from 11/11@8am --> 11/12 @ noon
- 11/12/22@ noon: returned sensors to under inner cover & added shim with weather stripping - total height between 1 1/2"--> 1 3/4" depending on compression of weather stripping
- 11/17/22@ noon - wrapped colony & reduced entrances
Note - the RH sensors that read high humidity are in the colony as of 11/12.. I will determine a normalizing offset and post it for any future analysis.
Looking from the northeast side of colony
Sensor location notes:
"Above Lower Brood Box" = box 2, frame 6, 2" from front (north side)
Humidity Offset: -4 (estimated)
"Custom(1)" = box 2, frame 6, 2" from back (south side)
Humidity Offset: -2 (estimated)
"Under Inner Cover" = box 4, frame 6, 2" from front (north side) -
Humidity Offset: -23
"Custom(2)" = box 4, frame 6, 2" from back (south side)
Humidity Offset: -21
"Other" = box 4, frame 3, 2" from east side
**This colony faces NORTH
Humidity offsets are an attempt to normalize the humidity readings so they may be compared. These were determined by running the sensors in a closed room next to each other.
"Outside" (pink line) is not from a sensor. It data pulled by broodminder from a weather data site
frames are counted from left to right when facing the front of the colony