Hive "1" - Bee Cozy
Bee Race: Italian or Carniolan
Queen: 1st year
Hive Name: Hive1
- 10 Frame Langstroth
- Wrapped on 11/27/21
- Stack: Medium,Medium,Medium
1" polystyrene between homasote and outer top cover
2" foam on outer top cover
Moisture absorption board is directly on top of inner top cover. The
board has two strips of wood approx. 1/2" in height so inside 1"
polystyrene has that gap between it and the moisture board.
Bottom Board is closed
bottom entrance : 2"
top entrance : 3/4"
- sensor "outside hive" is the one between the wrap & woodenware
- There is no "middle" sensor in this hive
- TH sensor used to measure apiary temp is mounted under a floor
joist in a tree house near the apiary
- apiary gets filtered sun in the winter.
- fondant being added to hives week of 12/20 - bees have already
consumed a winter patty added in Nov.
- fondant added on 1/12/22
- 1/20/22 - changed shim with one about 1/2 the height
- 2/23/22 winter patty/fondant added
- 3/13/22 winter patty added
- 3/15/22 bottom entrance reduced to 7/8”
- 3/18/22 ½ pollen patty . Hive1 had consumed winter patty
Observation: slide into each hive to close the screened bottom has a looser fit in hive 1 relative to hive 2. Also, the smaller shim made for hive 1 doesn't have as tight a fit as the taller shim in hive 2.
Sensor location notes: "Outside hive" is the the woodenware sensor
"Outside" (pink line) is not from a sensor. It data pulled by broodminder from a weather data site.